Demand for skilled employees is high
According to KPMG’s 2018 British Columbia Technology Report Card, talent and scalability continue to be the two main constraints on BC’s booming technology sector.
With over 10,000 companies facilitating 100,000 jobs, BC’s technology sector employs more people than forestry, mining, oil & gas and utilities combined and continues to be one of the top five contributors to the provincial economy. An additional 83,000 jobs are expected to be added by 2027, many of which are roles that don’t even exist yet. Future employees need to be highly-skilled and adaptable in this rapidly changing business world. In response to this evolving landscape, JABC launched TechWorks in 2017 in Vancouver. In the 2019-2020 school year, this program will be offered in Vancouver, Victoria and Kelowna.
JABC TechWorks is designed to encourage youth to consider their education choices as they approach their senior years and inspire them to consider a career in BC’s technology sector and beyond. We are proud to partner with numerous companies and organizations who will be hiring for the jobs of the future and also bringing new and unique experiences to BC students.
- is a FREE one-day multi-school program aimed at students in grades nine and ten who have taken JA Economics for Success.
- builds upon the JA Economics for Success program which highlights the connection between post-secondary education and an increased earning capacity and quality of life as an adult.
- showcases the scope of technology-related career opportunities open to the next generation of employees.
- features an auditorium-style opening plenary with dynamic technology industry speakers, video, music, demonstrations, and social media activity, all designed to engage the students at their level.
- provides students a deeper understanding of various technology sectors and the exciting career opportunities they offer through smaller hands-on group breakout sessions hosted by the technology companies that will be hiring these students in the future.
- inspires students to explore and develop personalized education and lifestyle plans which will inform and support their Grade ten-12 course selections and post-secondary plans.
View these great talks from our recent JABC TechWorks guest speakers!
Enroll your Class
TechWorks is offered as a capstone experience to classes across British Columbia who have participated in JA Economics for Success. If you are interested in bringing your students to TechWorks, please contact your local JA Program team member for more information or fill out the form below and we’ll get back to you!